April 11, 2007

Resting the Mind

Am I the only one with a “racing mind”? Do you know what I mean? It’s like the mind on speed. Thoughts enter uninvited at ight speed colliding with others thoughts. I desperately attempt to grab and hang onto one of them and then am quickly bombarded by fifty-hundred- millions (that’s a BUNCH) others. It is too much for the ole’ brain.

I notice that thoughts with a high threat valence really grab my mind. Thoughts like not making enough money, not succeeding, not being a good dad or husband, or not having enough money when I retire, all ravage the mind’s ability to focus.

I feel like Elijah in 1 Kings 18 where he is threatened by Jezeebel and heads for the hills in a panic. Once out of danger’s path he is exhausted and wants to die. A threatened-racing mind tends to think in extremes – relief is only possible by dying (so Elijah concludes).

In contrast to the “racing mind” is Isaiah’s “resting mind.” Look at what Isaiah said about arresting the racing mind.

You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, whose thoughts are fixed on you! Isaiah 26:3

The “resting mind” is fixed on God. Easy to say, RIGHT! Yet what a quantum leap from the reality I live in. Yet I know God is giving me something that will break me out of the prison of the “racing mind.” And that key is to “look to God.” And I assume that means looking away from me.

It seems that looking to me is what heightened the threat valence that then fires up thousands of latent racing thoughts and before I know it chaos reigns over my mind rather than Christ bringing rest to my mind.

Here are some things I am experimenting with the move from a racing to a resting mind.

1. I ask our Loving Father to give me the faith to believe Isa. 26:3. I do not try to generate faith on my own. Instead I cry out for Him to “increase my faith.

2. Next I begin the day with a bit of quietness and stillness that is intended to introduce my mind to rest before the day cranks up good and runs all over me. This may be just 5-10 minutes where I turn all of me toward God and surrender all of me I can to Him.

3. Lastly I’m intentionally turning my mind BACK to God all day. I don’t have the maturity to keep God in my mind all the time but I can keep turning my back to Him. Ps. 25 says, “My eyes are continually on the Lord . . .”. I fulfill this by repeatedly, consistently bringing God before my mind and praying simply, “Lead me Lord . . . guide me . . . teach me.”

Let me know what you think about these ideas.

2 Comments:

At 5:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Dr. C. This is Michael from NC. We had you out to our church a couple of years back. I always enjoy your insights, and also wrestle with a busy mind. I love the idea of remembering and meditating or taking my thoughts continually back to GOD as a recipe for soul satisfaction (psalm 63). Please keep posting!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Mari said...

Hi Dr. P.

I so identify with you and your busy thoughts. I live there most of the time; at times I feel like a race car that has left the others behind on the track. I am way out front so caught up that I forget I already won the race.

Thanks for the reminder of seeking the peace that only God gives.

In Him,

Marilyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home