December 11, 2005

When Poor Is Rich

I'm about to tell you something that your mind will want to reject. So would you ask our Father to help you hear my words? Here goes.

"You are spiritually bankrupt--poor in spirit."

Are you still with me? I hope so. To be on the journey to transformation in Christ we MUST admit that we are "spiritually ruined and deficient." There are no exceptions to this Christian axiom.

My initial reaction to being "poor in spirit" was I'm not that bad. In some ways I bring some pretty good qualities to the spiritual bargaining table. For instance, I really like people, I'm humble, I'm a good communicator and I'm really involved in religious activities. I have a long way to go but I'm not poor in spirit – NO WAY!

What is it about being “poor in spirit” that is so troubling, so repulsive to me? My mind goes back to the playground during school in the fall of my first grade year. Two kids were picking teams for a game of kickball. I was not picked right off and I began to get a little anxious. I thought don’t worry they will pick you soon. The team captains continued calling out names that were not Paul Carlisle and my anxiety was turning into panic. No first grader wanted to be the last one picked by the kickball team captains. Because being unpicked mean you were “poor in kickball skills” and that meant rejection and humiliation.

So you can see how being “poor in anything” is to be avoided like a root canal. Even if you are totally inadequate and incompetent fake it, avoid it, deny it but never--no never embrace it.

Yet our Savior says, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for the kingdom of God belongs to them.” (Matt. 5:3) The Amplified Bible says, “Blessed (happy, to be envied, and spiritually prosperous--with life-joy and satisfaction in God's favor and salvation, regardless of their outward conditions) are the poor in spirit (the humble, who rate themselves insignificant), for theirs is the kingdom of heaven!”

Now here’s the paradox. Admitting I am poor in spirit opens the door to spiritual wealth. In 2 Cor. 8:9 Paul talks about us being rich in Christ. “In Christ” is the critical phrase. The best I can do for myself is poverty. To move out of poverty is simple—turn from me to Christ. Are you ready to go from rags to riches? Come on let’s surrender all to our Savior and King.

1 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger jason said...

I think I have much the same response as you when I consider that I am poor in spirit.

In fact, your response to that is my response to all of my deficiencies: I fake it, I hide it, I run from it, on and on. What you are describing could really transform how we view ourselves (for the good!).

thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home