December 02, 2005

I Really, Really Need God! Part 2

Paul said he was not “sufficient or adequate” if left on his own (2 Cor. 3:5-6). He had learned to say “I can’t!” This is doubly difficult because of the belief of American culture that “you can!” Think about it for a minute. We are the country that people can come to with very little materially and gain wealth. We believe that you can accomplish anything you want if you set your mind to it.

Can you see the message we are given by the culture and the church? You CAN do it! Yet when we look at the Bible we see something totally different. In John 15:5b Jesus says, “. . . for without Me you can do nothing.” God told Paul, “. . . My strength is made perfect in weakness.” (2 Cor. 12:9) The apostle Paul says, “. . . I will. . . boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore, I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak I am strong.” (2 Cor. 12:9-10)

Moses replies to God call for service by saying, “Who am I that I should go to Pharoah. . .” He is feeling totally inadequate for the task at hand (Exodus 3:11). There are many more who did not have what it took to do what God had called them to do that I could cite but let’s stop with these.

It is easy to see that we were not created to be able to do anything on our own. We are invited to lean on Christ for all that we do. So let’s readily admit that “We can’t!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home